Re: Laptop hangs after upgrade

Hello Michael,

The only (EE) errors that I found were:-

[715.004] (EE) systemd-logind: failed to get session: PID 1795 does not belong to any known session
[717.219] (EE)
[717.219] (EE) Backtrace:

I installed nvidia_legacy_check, nvidia_support and nvidia-installer-cleanup.

Restarted but problem persisted.

Restarted in recovery mode and examined the output of apt list --upgradeable and installed more packages such as binutils, gnome-backgrounds, gir1.2*, etc.
Restarted but problem persisted.

Went back into recovery mode and found a lot of libraries libegl* and libgl1* relating to nvidia and wayland that needed upgrading.
So I installed them and voila, I was able to boot up normally and log in as an ordinary user.

I have since cleaned up /dev/sda1 and now have a reasonable quantity of free space which I didn't have before. Lack of free space was restricting my ability to run upgrades.

Also whilst running in recovery mode you end up with huge log files as the rotation and compression does not occur.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Rob

On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 3:44 AM, Michael <codejodler@gmx.ch> wrote:
Robert,

>From recovery shell, find X log (probably in /var/log/Xorg*) and lookup the last dozen lines (especially those with (EE) for errors). If you don't know about shell commands, report back here.

If you've got old nvidia GPU then maybe the migration to *-legacy driver caused the problem. Make sure to have packages nvidia-legacy-check and nvidia-support installed.