Network issues after purging some packages

Hello,

I'm running:-
 Linux roblaptop 4.5.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.5.3-2 (2016-05-08) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I was running out of room on /dev/sda1 and to make some more space I used synaptic to find out the obsolete packages.
I ended up purging 31 packages and removing 23.

Since that day, each time I boot my laptop, resolv.conf is not created with the nameservers and their IP addresses, and consequently I can't connect to the outside world via a cable modem.

After booting, running ifdown -a followed by ifup eth0 creates a connection and a useable resolv.conf file.

I have a list of the packages that were deleted. I have been through every conceivable package that mentions DHCP or ISC or BIND, etc. by running searches via synaptic and ended up replacing some packages.
For example, libsodium13 is marked as obsolete and I installed libsodium18 which is the current version.

As well as the resolv.conf issue, I'm unable to run applications locally that need to resolve to localhost (127.0.0.1).

So I'm asking on this forum if anybody has any ideas of where else to look, or if anybody has suffered the same issue?

Thanks,
Rob