From: Martin Steigerwald <martin@lichtvoll.de>
To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Sent: Sunday, February 7, 2016 5:06 AM
Subject: Re: Home Directory in SSD

Am Sonntag, 7. Februar 2016, 00:11:30 CET schrieb Aleksandar Atanasov:

> As for the quality of SSDs - yes, it has improved greatly (example for
> some test of longevity:
> http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking
> -petabytes). I have read however that SSDs are much more susceptible to
> power failure compared to HDDs leading to a higher data corruption in case
> a poor electrical grid is used to power the device up. However in terms of
> protecting your data from shocks (dropping the notebook onto the floor)
> SSDs are definitely much better. Because of the mechanics that are involved
> in HDDs, such drives are less suitable for the task of storing data on
> mobile devices.

Depends on whether the SSD uses condensators to provide some energy in case of
sudden power loss or not. And on whether there are bugs with that like in the
Intel SSD 320. Luckily I never encountered the bug (that basically trashes the
device), but I also keep my laptop battery inside the laptop at all time just
for safety.

--
Martin