Re: Updating Kernel

Thanks all for your quick reply

jeanbaptiste wrote:

The best solution is to migrate your distribution to Stretch and leave Jessie. Result is perfect for me.

I am going to try moving to Stretch. However I wanted to know your experience with Stretch. Is Stretch currently on unstable or testing stage. Do you get bugs while using it ?

Can I also know the exact model of your Dell Inspiron laptop?

With Kind Regards,

Dwijesh

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 12:34 PM, mudongliang <mudongliangabcd@hotmail.com> wrote:

On 01/06/2016 04:11 PM, Dwijesh Gajadur wrote:
> Hello everyone and Happy New Year !
>
> I got a new laptop Dell Inspiron 5559. The laptop has the new 6th
> generation Intel proceesor (Skylake) on it. After installing Debian 8 on it
> I got issues with the display and there was no sound also.
>
> I wanted to update the kernel to version 4.3.3 to see if it solved the
> problem.
>
> Can you please tell me how to update the linux kernel on Debian?

First , if you consist to Debian stable, you can add backports in you sources.list.
The following kernel is from jessie-backports.

linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64/stable,now 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
  Linux 3.16 for 64-bit PCs

linux-image-4.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64/jessie-backports,jessie-backports 4.2.6-3~bpo8+2 amd64
  Linux 4.2 for 64-bit PCs

linux-image-4.3.0-0.bpo.1-amd64/jessie-backports,jessie-backports 4.3.3-2~bpo8+1 amd64
  Linux 4.3 for 64-bit PCs

The third kernel is suitable for you?

Second, if you change the your sources to testing , or even unstable, there are more kernels you can test.

    - mudongliang