Re: Debian on Acer Aspire E15

On Sun, 2015-04-05 at 18:22 +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015, Geoff Simmons wrote:
>
> > For device support on your Wheezy system, you would need to install and
> > use a backported Linux kernel available from the wheezy-backports
> > repository.
>
> OK, I've got back to this again, and I now understand about the need for
> backports etc.
>
> Silly question: exactly how do I use "aptitude" to download and install
> firmware-atheros_0.43~bpo70+1_all.deb?  Assume that I'm new to Linux.

[..]

Try:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install -t wheezy-backports linux-image-amd64

after making sure your /etc/apt/sources.list contains the following
line:

deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-backports main

AR9695 isn't in the current wheezy-backports/firmware-atheros package so
there's no point installing it since it's already in the backported
kernel, according to this thread on a similar issue:

In any case, there is no point in throwing away your laptop, just buy an
external usb wireless device known to work with debian main. There are
many, and you will be able to wireless connect with ANY laptop, at the
modicum price of a bit of attention to the free driver issue when you
buy your hardware.

But I bet it will not be necessary, do install a newer kernel and it
should work.

Loredana