CHANGING DEFAULT FILE HANDLER / MANAGER IN LINUX

i have recently installed a new file manager XFE in my system. how to
make it the default file manager instead of my current file manager
Nautilus ...?

i tried to use :

xdg-mime default xfe.desktop inode/directory

but it reports an error :

/usr/bin/xdg-mime: line 820:
/home/arghya/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list.new: No such file
or directory

should i create the folder 'applications'' and file mimeapps.list ..?

if so what entries should i put in it..? or is there any other way to
make XFE the default file handler..?