Re: Laptop

On Sun, 2015-04-12 at 00:54 +0200, Michael wrote:
> The libreboot laptop mentioned by Francesco have Intel AMT removed. I didn't even know what this feature does, and looked it up.
>
> It's no surprise that corporate giants like Intel oder AMD evolve into that direction, but still, thinking about the kind of implicit power (for example, theoreticaly they could activate webcam and mic and transmit over WLAN) makes me shrivel.
>
> Gross: "Security technologies that protect access to the AMT features are built into the hardware and firmware. As with other hardware-based features of AMT, the security technologies are active even if the PC is powered off, the OS is crashed, software agents are missing, or hardware (such as a hard drive or memory) has failed."
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology

Thanks for bringing this privacy and security issue to our attention. I
didn't know about AMT myself and it is definitely something one should
not ignore.

There is one more issue that is relevant in general and I take into
account before buying. Most modern laptop are much less powerful than
older ones (as a rough measure compare processor speed), given the
current tendency of concentrating processing power and applications on
the server side.

Loredana