Re: Solid State Drive BIOS update and Memory Cell Clearing

Hi,

On 12/16/14 16:24, Michael wrote:
> thx for reply.
> I got no further yet through workload delays.
>>>   https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SSD_Memory_Cell_Clearing
>> i would just reinstall, and the use "fstrim" to clear the rest of the drive.
> Another friendly guy from this list already recommended this approach. So. i will try reformatting then manually TRIM the whole disk from a grml bootdisk. which hopefully has trim support in hdparm.

fstrim is command like fsck, it has nothing to do with hdparm. you just
install, format the filesystem, and run fstrim /dev/sda1.. or similar.

> But you think it yields the same result ? The few articles i read did not make clear if TRIM command is doing cell clearing actively, or if it's something that only advises the SSD to clear at writes, and only those blocks affected.
> For example, this does not make it clear:
> "A Trim command (commonly typeset as TRIM) allows an operating system to inform a solid-state drive (SSD) which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally."
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM
> The problem here is the 'can'.

> While this seems to point out some 'fragmentation' issue:

the problem is, you want the hardware to do something which is not
standardized. i believe that there is no way to reset an hdd oder sdd to
a state in which it is like out of factory.

And i really think, it also does not matter.

All ssd should support TRIM, and all do, except some very old models.
On an SSD is a firmware and a controller, and you can't force the
controller to behave "intelligent" or "fast", if the firmware is broken,
e.g. it does not support TRIM, thats it.

> I also wonder if i should mount my usb memory pen drives with the 'discard' option ?
'discard' only makes sense, if the drive supports TRIM,
and IMHO (i never checked), i  don't believe they do.

--
Florian Reitmeir
E-Mail: florian@reitmeir.org