Solid State Drive BIOS update and Memory Cell Clearing

Hello,

Someone gots me a 4y old Lenovo Thinkpad X301 with a 64G Samsung SSD and i'd like to give it a try and follow this instruction
  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SSD_Memory_Cell_Clearing

There is no usable OS yet on this laptop (albeit a Windows 7) and i consider booting a Live-CD.

Does anyone know

(1) If i need a specific boot disk. I'm going to download grml.org for the first try.

(2) If there's any problem with using Samsung Magician for SSD BIOS update even when the Samsung Download Center does not know the harddrive (anymore), so i downloaded just the first thing i saw, version 4.1 from 06/2013

Anyone have a little experience with this ?

tia mi