ALSA replacement

Hello everyone,

I recently reformatted and reinstalled Debian (Jessie) on my Lenovo T430, and my computer is no longer playing anything on its embedded speakers. The headphone jack works just fine, it's just the embedded speakers. They played fine with my last Debian install, but as soon as I reformatted--whoop, no luck (even on Wheezy).

Looking at documentation online, there seems to be a lot of reference to ALSA, but AFAIK that seems to have been depreciated for Jessie (and the alsa_base.conf file is not present in /etc/modprobe.d/). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you,
Paul