Re: Lenovo ThinkPad X240 and T440

Thanks a lot for the info :)

On Friday, 09 May, 2014 02:32 AM, Martin Klepáč wrote:
Hi,

I have recently purchased T440 and have used X240 at work so I feel qualified enough to respond to your request :)

X240 has a fantastic full HD display, while my T440 has "just" 1600x900 resolution. Overall, the performance of X240 should be higher, but that depends on the exact model. Nevertheless, I feel that 2-core i5 is sufficient for most applications. Beware that my current T440 with i5 has a single RAM slot, so only 8GB might be used (4GB currently being used).

I am not a big fan of the new touchpad which consists of a single piece (this applies to both types). Moreover, I feel that it is pretty noisy compared to other laptops. When you browse the web for some time, you will find some modifications of Xorg.conf that will cause the touchpad to behave as if it consisted of three physical buttons.

The keyboard is fabulous on both models - Lenovo knows how to create a notebook suitable for work :)

When it comes to compatibility with Linux, I have been very satisfied - I use Debian testing on T440 and Kali Linux (former BackTrack; based on Debian) on X240. No manual driver compilations, firmware for Wifi is hidden under "firmware-iwlwifi" package.

Battery life is superb on both models, approximately 7 hrs with low power consumption (no wifi, lower brightness).

Overall, if I were you (assuming that you have enough money, to be honest...), I would go into X240. Otherwise, T440 is still a solid option, but you will have to get used to the touchpad thing - especially if you are a fan of former Thinkpad models.

Regards,

Martin Klepac

Hello, debian-laptop!

Has anyone used a Lenovo ThinkPad X240 or T440, or indeed any of the newer ThinkPad models (with 4th-generation Intel "Haswell" processors)?

What can you say about build quality, performance (including heating issues, battery life, etc.), price and compatibility with Free Software?