Re: managing networks on laptop

On 2014-01-06 06:31, Selim T. Erdogan wrote:
Richard Hector, 27.12.2013:
In the Network Manager applet, if you go into the settings for a wireless network, there's a check box at the bottom that says "usable by all users" or something like that. If that's checked, I think I still have to log in once to establish the wireless connection but the connection stays active after I log out. (And if the wireless network has "connect automatically" checked, I don't need to manually connect after I log in.) I think this is part of
the solution you're looking for.

If you want the laptop to connect without logging in at all, there's probably a way but I don't know offhand. (I occasionally start networks without logging into the gui, using nmcli, but that still requires me to use the console.)

I'm pretty sure that NetworkManager connects to my wireless network automatically even before login. I guess it could depend on what starts it (i.e., on login or by an init system). I start it with systemd on system startup.

Daniel Landau