Re: Upgrading 32-bit to 64-bit

Hi,

On 10/17/2013 11:00 AM, Aniyan Rajan wrote:> I have a Debian/Squeeze
32-bit stable release (6.0.3), which is natively
> installed in my laptop. The processor is a 64-bit processor (Intel(R)
> Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz). Now, I would like to upgrade the OS
> to Wheezy 64-bit. I found this article:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit
>
> The question is:
> Do I have to upgrade from Debian/Squeeze 32-bit to Debian/Wheezy 32-bit
> (as a pre-requisite), before using the above article ?

i would not recommend the article, the migration path is messy, and only
for people with very high skills, because not every package is
32bit/64bit compatible with their data file on disk format.

so the migration is only for people who know which daemons they running,
and how they store their data on disk.

Whatever you do, make a full backup of your system.

--
Florian Reitmeir
E-Mail: florian@reitmeir.org