Re: it is avahi? Re: network

Cristian,

> That looks like someone is attempting to eavesdrop on you.

I would be interested in how that could work and how to defend against it. Would you mind to try to explain it, for short ... ?

Here are my questions:

(1) If i understand correctly, the 'dig' result shows that domain 'local' is directed to either  "ns1.inet.fi" or "hostmaster.sonera.fi" correct ? How would a SOA answer section look like for a non-grabbed domain, in a regular dig result ?

(2) As far as i know the regular setup only has 'localhost' for loopback, i don't know anyone using 'local', except, as it appears, avahi. So would this redirect (or rather, grabbed domain) take effect only for the avahi system, in a default installation ?

(3) I don't think that Hannu's situation necessarily indicates anything criminal like eavesdropping. But anyway, if so, then what use could you imagine to 'eavesdrop' especially avahi communications ?