Re: ACPI for toshiba satellite L775

On 07/04/2013 12:18 AM, Jay DeKing wrote:
On 07/03/2013 10:56 PM, Kevin Geidel wrote:
Hello,

I am new to linux and certainly new to mailing lists! I was directed
here by a friend who finally got to look at my Toshiba Satellite L775
running Debian-based Linux Mint (Cinnamon?) I was unable to get the
wireless card to activate despite having all the firmware apparently
installed. There were a lot of commands he was using that I do not
remember (although am happy to rerun and repost!) but said RFKILL had
reported the card hard blocked and since there was no physical switch
on the card there must be something else going on. A function key is
supposed to turn wifi card on and off I guess ACPI is reponsible for
this and is apparently an unsolved problem on the internet (thats when
he directed me here.) His support for this hypothesis was all my
function keys (brightness, volume etc) do not work. There is also a
glitch when closing the laptop lid, I cannot wake it or its crashing,
not sure but I guess ACPI is a related module. I have been asking for
help on the linux mint fourms at
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=194&t=133454 (I am also
new to fourms, this has been memorable issue.) Thank you for your time
and assistance!!

Sincerely,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I just happen to have a Satellite L755. I, too, started with Mint on this machine - it ran on this machine fairly well. I moved to Debian pretty quickly and have been using it for the last year and a half. Your question gives me a good reason to look back at my notes and see how well I documented the various hoops that I jumped through getting things to work.

The first thing I notice reading your message is that I also had some WiFi problems, specifically the computer couldn't see my network using the default network manager. I installed wicd and it found the network immediately. Of course you may need to install wpa_supplicant if your router requires WPA security.

Another thing that I did was edit /etc/default/grub (as root) and change the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= value to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i8042.nomux=1 i8042.reset quiet nomodeset pcie_aspm=force"

(After doing this, you must run "sudo update-grub")

You didn't say whether you have an Intel or an AMD chipset. I have AMD, but I'm pretty sure that either is available in the L755 series. I have installed the packages "firmware-linux-nonfree" and "toshset".

My volume, mute and brightness controls all work (now).

Let me know if you need any more help, I'll do what I can.

Regards,
Jay DeKing

Thank you for your response!! It is an AMD processor! Unfortunately wicd and toshset did not find any networks and I actually lost my ability to USB tether through my phone (my only connection the internet and important as I attend school online!) I removed both and restored GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT to the original "quiet splash". I was nervous and had to restore my tethering before moving on. I can redo those steps if need be now that I know I can go back (had to reinstall network manager to get it all working again.) I truly appreciate your assistance and welcome any further ideas if they come up!

Sincerely,
Kevin