Re: it is avahi? Re: network

On 30.06.13 21:24, Matthew Dawson wrote:
The most usual reason is that your ISP displays a page when you incorrectly
enter a dns name, displaying an error.  OpenDNS does a similar thing by
default (their search page).  Google does not.  It can be annoying though, as
some software expects a NXDOMAIN for incorrect results, and your ISP returning
a valid result messes that up (things like history, so now your browser
remembers the mistaken url.)

This does not seems to be the case. It more looks that the ISP just has
locally configured .local domain with empty content, so all requests are
not forwarded to root name servers.

;; ANSWER SECTION:
local.            14400    IN    SOA    ns1.inet.fi. hostmaster.sonera.fi. 1 14400 7200 864000 14400

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
local.            14400    IN    NS    local.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
local.            14400    IN    A    127.0.0.1
local.            14400    IN    AAAA    ::1

The OP could check this by trying "dig ANY test.local."

However, I recommend to solve this would be change setting of the "local"
domain on the DHCP server (most probably the router) to something else. Preferrably, own domain if user owns any.

changing avahi domain-name is not a good idea, since all devices use ".local"
- you would have to change it on all devices, and I'm not sure if all devices
support changing it. Also, you can still forget something.

Chernobyl was an Windows 95 beta test site.