Re: How to install Debian Wheezy on the Acer C7 Chromebook?

On 05/03/2013 03:25 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 04:25:04PM +0700, Paul Harper wrote:
How can I install Debian Wheezy on the Acer C7 Chromebook?

All the instuctions I find on the internet seem to be for Ubuntu on the C7
or for installing Debian on the ARM Chromebooks.

I would much prefer Debian on my C7.
It's an Intel x86 CPU, so I would try following the instructions for
Ubuntu until you can put an image on the SSD, and then put in a Debian
image instead.

-dsr-

The Acer C7 is one of the models with a hard drive rather than an SSD.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/acer-c7-chromebook.html#specs

I did find this set of instructions but it is for Squeeze and for the Samsung Series 5. http://www.chromebook-linux.com/2011/11/how-to-install-gnulinux-debian-603-on.html

Mr Brock Tice has an excellent page on how to install Wheezy on the Chromebook Pixel here:

http://blog.brocktice.com/2013/03/09/running-debian-wheezy-7-0-on-the-chromebook-pixel/

But it appears the hardware is too different.

There is a reference to the Acer C7 in the Linux Kernel 3.9 which leads me to believe it should be possible to install.

http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/2013/04/30/linux-3-9-and-chromebook-support/

I am amazed that nobody seems to have installed Wheezy on the Acer C7 seeing how cheap it is. Or more likely they have it is not documented.

It would be good to get the method documented on http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Acer

The Acer C7 is a nice affordable laptop once it has Linux on it.

For the moment I am running Ubuntu 12.04.

Regards,

Paul Harper
--
about.me/pauljamesharper

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

Robert Heinlein