Re: help diagnosing possible graphics issue with Thinkpad T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS140

First, thank you to everyone who replied with suggestions.

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012, 20:08+0100, Peter Funk <pf@artcom-gmbh.de> wrote:
> > A brief chronology of events:
> Did you check the temperature of your NVidia GPU ?
> Use
>     sudo nvidia-smi -a

Overheating may have been the cause of the failure in the past but
currently X won't start even when the GPU is at a fairly innocuous 56 C,
so I'm afraid the system may be past that point now.

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012, 11:38-0600, Preston Boyington <preston.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> this seems like a definite hardware issue unrelated to any operating
> system.  I might look to see if there is a firmware update/fix as a
> last ditch effort.  if it were me I'd start saving for a new laptop.

Getting a new computer is what I plan on doing.

Does it mean anything if console output seems to work normally out the
VGA connection?  The weird split and duplicated screen behavior only
occurs on the native display.

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012, 22:47+0100, Michael <codejodler@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Uh, sorry, last year you bought the monitor, not the laptop.
>
> Well then, like Preston said. If you are lucky the DVI is a separate part and exchangeable. Graphic card could be exchangeable too (but could be also on-board chip). If you find another T61, in the used parts market, which is defect in some other way, you could be able to do it yourself.
> But it's a lot of effort with totally uncertain outcome.
> I would be interested in your resolution.

I can still use my thinkpad as a headless server and I'll keep an eye
out for used boards being sold for cheap so I can troubleshoot it in my
spare time.  However, I really need a reliable and functioning main
system to do work on *now*, so I've decided to go buy a new laptop. I've
been trying to decide whether I want to buy another Thinkpad or use this
sudden opportunity to get a notebook from one of the linux hardware
vendors like ZaReason [1], System76 [2], or Ohava [3].

[1] zareason.com
[2] www.system76.com
[3] www.ohava.com

Thanks again,