Re: Getting power saving to work by default in wheezy

On 11.05.2012 14:59, Touko Korpela wrote:
> I think it would be nice if power saving options (SATA,USB,wireless
> etc.) were turned on by default when running on laptop.
> Powertop can report which kernel tunables are set (and you can use it to
> turn individual options on/off).
> Laptop task installs pm-utils by default.
> There is also optional laptop-mode-tools with some overlap with pm-utils.
> TLP Linux Advanced Power Management is another option (not yet in Debian)
> https://github.com/linrunner/TLP/wiki/TLP-Linux-Advanced-Power-Management

pm-utils contains the pm-powersave tool, which is triggered via upower
when the AC state changes.

pm-powersave applies power saving settings, see the hooks in
/usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/

Some of those are disabled by default, like the sata_alpm hook, since
they were reported to cause issues on certain hardware / driver
configurations in the past. We also removed hooks which have not proven
to be effective. Our decisions which hooks to enable/disable were also
based on Colin Kings fine work on that topic, who did actually measure
the influence of this settings on the power consumption:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/hardware-p-kernel-power-management
http://zinc.canonical.com/~cking/power-benchmarking/pm-utils-results/results.txt

Cheers,
Michael