Re: Debian live (lenny) boot options for vaio PCG-6J2L (aka VGN-SZ120P)

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 12:45:50PM +0100, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 01. 01. 2011 07:28:22 je A. F. Cano napisal(a):
>> Hello and happy new year,
>>
>> I'm trying to determine if this Sony Vaio PCG-6J2L, which according to
>> a web search is "known in the west as VGN-SZ120P", has a bad video
>> card/
>> chip (Nvidia 7400go) or the problem is a driver issue.  The machine
>> has
>> a partial install of windows and no Sony diagnostics, so I presume the
>> OS was re-installed on a new disk.  When running windows the machine
>> starts with some some "garbage" background, the firwmare boot screen
>> is
>> displayed above the background garbage and when windows finally boots,
>> the garbage is cleared up and the windows screen is clean/correct but
>> it doesn't fill the whole screen.
>
> Is this a second-hand laptop or what? Your best and fastest bet is to

Exactly.

> try out different -- recent -- live CDs (say, a recent Mandriva, SuSE
> and Ubuntu) and see where they get you. Try selecting different video

Finally had a chance to DL a USB live image of squeeze.  It booted fine and
as soon as the driver therein took control, the garbage screen
disappeard, just like it does in windows and the system worked fine
in 1024 x 768, which is all the open source driver is likely to
understand.  To get the full use of the video card/chip, it's likely
to need the proprietary nvidia driver, but since this laptop is for
a windows user, I'll try the Sony recovery disk next.

> [ about messing with the BIOS ]

Anyway, the symptoms and the way to make it work are similar enough in both
linux and windows that it appears to be a driver issue.  Thanks for
taking the time to reply and I'll keep the list appraised of my
progress, or lack thereof.

A.