Re: Dell Latitude E6410: Touchpad Scrolling

On 12/12/11 20:25, Ashton Fagg wrote:
G'day list,

I have a Dell Latitude E6410 and after months of putting up with no
touchpad scrolling out of sheer laziness I've decided to bite the
bullet and try to get it going.

Hi list,

Well I've finally got everything sorted, so I thought I would post what I did on the list for anyone else who may stumble upon the archives of this (nothing worse than finding someone with the exact same problem, but no solution, right? :).

In order to get touchpad scrolling working, a few things had to happen:

1) Upgrade to a newer kernel (I used the backports kernel, 2.6.39-bpo.2-amd64)

2) I have the nVidia graphics card, and use the proprietary nVidia drivers (*ptooey*). DKMS needs a bit of a massage to work correctly with the backports kernel. See [1]. Note you will need to boot the new kernel before you run the fix outline in the link. If you don't want to do that, replace all instances of "$(uname -r)" with "linux-2.6.39-bpo.2-amd54" (without the quotation marks) before you run it and it should be fine. After I applied this fix, I booted the new kernel and everything was happy.

3) Download the sources for the backports kernel, patch psmouse and build the new module. There are instructions available for Ubuntu (see [2]), however I've adapted them for Debian. Also make sure you have the correct kernel headers installed.

apt-get install -t squeeze-backports linux-source-2.6.39
apt-get build-dep --no-install-recommends linux-image-$(uname -r)

Then, as root:

cd /usr/src
tar -xvf linux-source-2.6.39.tar.bz2
cd linux-source-2.6.39/drivers/input/mouse
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/57421117/patch-dell-e6510
patch -p0 < path-dell-e6510
make -C /lib/modules/'uname -r'/build M='pwd' psmouse.ko
rmmod psmouse
(at this point you will lose the touchpad temporarily)
cd /lib/modules/'uname -r'/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/
cp psmouse.ko psmouse.ko.bak
(this backs up the old module, just in case)
cd /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.39/drivers/input/mouse
cp psmouse.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/
modprobe psmouse

At this point, the touchpad should work complete with scrolling. Enjoy! However every time the kernel package gets update, you will have to reapply the fix. An rmmod, copying the patched module back to where it needs to go and a modprobe should be sufficient.

Cheers,
Ashton.

[1] - http://www.vultaire.net/blog/2011/08/14/using-nvidia-drivers-on-debian-squeeze-64-bit-with-backported-kernel/

[2] - http://budts.be/weblog/2010/12/dell-latitude-e6510-screen-and-touchpad