Re: Lenovo T520i X11 Intel i810 "static display" issue

In article <hctKp-4fd-3@gated-at.bofh.it>,
Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been running into an issue with a Lenovo Thinkpad T520i running
> squeeze where the X11 display goes into a sort of "static" state.  It's
> usually after a pm-suspend or pm-hibernate (but not after all
> suspend/hibernates), and sometimes simply when awakening the
> screensaver.  Restarting X generally (always?) clears the issue, but
> doesn't do much for preserving session state.
>
> The symptoms are that the display doesn't update -- while it's viewable.
> There's no visible response to keyboard or mouse inputs.  The pointer
> itself /does/ move around the display, but windows don't take focus,
> won't resize or move, etc.
>
> However if I toggle away (<shift><alt><F1-6>) then back to (<alt><F7> or
> <alt><F8>) the display -- the changes /are/ reflected.  I've taken
> advantage of this to shut down windows/apps cleanly.
>
> If i restart X ("sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop; sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start"
> from another virtual console), X works properly, usually.
>
> I've noticed this under several desktops / window managers (GNOME, KDE,
> XFCE, twm, wmaker).  It doesn't appear to be specific to the window
> manager.
>
> Restarting the window manager doesn't clear the behavior.
>
> Occasionally when xscreensaver is activated, moving the mouse won't
> bring up the password dialog, but the mouse is limited to moving within
> the bounds of where that dialog would be.
>
> Graphics devicde appears to be Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810
> famiily.

> 1: Any idea what the bug is?  Or a fix?
> 2: What package(s) should I file it against?

It appears to be a bug in xserver-xorg-video-intel that occurs
under kernels 2.6.38 and 2.6.39.  The latter seems to help some --
in my case anyway -- but the problem is still there.  See bug
622308 (which has been closed); bugs 626337 and 627249 are similar.

(I'm running an Asus laptop with an Intel 965GM chipset.)

Bill