Re: Ethernet connect problem

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: pahnin sd <pahninsd@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 1:48 AM
Subject: Re: Ethernet connect problem
To: Jonas Andradas <j.andradas@gmail.com>

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 8:13 PM, pahnin sd <pahninsd@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 8:07 PM, Jonas Andradas <j.andradas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 15:23, pahnin sd <pahninsd@gmail.com> wrote:
I am using debian 6.0
My wifi is working fine but I couldn't use lan on my laptop..
It shows in gnome panel that, wired networks is not managed .. I have searched on internet but I could nt find gud solution.
Please help me...

Hello,

you could check if in the file /etc/network/interfaces you have a line defining your wired ethernet card, such as:  "allow-hotplug eth0" or "auto eth0". You also might have the device configured, with lines such as:

my /etc/network/interfaces file contains

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

i dont know wht this dhcp is bt I havnt used this earlier and I am under my institute's(nitrkl.ac.in) firewall
and at the installation time it automatically configured my laptop as phani.nitrkl.ac.in (I doubt this)
Is my institute firewall making problem?
As far as I know my institute supports  automatic DHCP configuration

iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.100

or

iface eth0 inet dhcp

If you have any of these, you should comment them out by prepending each line with a "#" and then restart the network-manager service (/etc/init.d/network-manager restart).

I tried

Stopping network connection manager: NetworkManager.
Starting network connection manager: NetworkManager.

nothing happend!!

Regards,

thanks
--
Jonás Andradas

Skype: jontux
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/andradas
GPG Fingerprint:  678F 7BD0 83C3 28CE 9E8F
                           3F7F 4D87 9996 E0C6 9372
Keyservers:  pgp.mit.edu | pgp.rediris.es

As mentioned in the first reply, you should try to run:

lspci

Specifically:

lspci | grep Eth

or:

lspci | grep Net

This should give you a list of network adaptors, then other people on the list can help you to determine whether your ethernet adaptors have linux kernel drivers. It could be the case that they're unsupported, or just that your system isn't configured correctly.