Re: Which kernel for ThinkPad 760XD ?

@Merciadri Luca
[quote]
I have no answer to your question, but I am wondering... what does 'lol' mean here? Is it some version of something, or did you simply put this over there because you have some sense of humor and you like to make your (somewhat old) config appear less depressing to the others' eyes?
[/quote]

... it's the hostname, but it is funny! I don't give a damn about what others might think anyway, I'm just having fun with it, making some tests, pushing my knowledge...

@Stefan
[quote]
486 will work.  686 may work.
[/quote]

My impression exactly, but I'd like to be sure : if I scrape this install, I'll have a hard time recovering it...

@Bob
[quote]
ionreflex@lol:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor: 0
vendor_id: GenuineIntel
cpu family: 5
model: 4
model name: Pentium MMX
stepping: 4
cpu MHz: 165.791
fdiv_bug: no
hlt_bug: no
f00f_bug: yes
coma_bug: no
fpu: yes
fpu_exception: yes
cpuid level: 1
wp: yes
flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 mmx
bogomips: 330.95
[/quote]

[quote]
ionreflex@lol:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
4.0
[/quote]

I had to doublecheck to make sure I wasn't jumping any major, thanks for that insight; I already knew what chip was inside the laptop, I'm just not sure what and where to look for to know which kernel to choose. If you can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it!

Tankiou all! :o)

Ion