Re: Battery monitor tools?

Joe Emenaker wrote:
> I'm looking for a good battery charge/discharge profiler tool for my
> Ubuntu laptop.

Of course I am sure that you know you are posting about Ubuntu to the
Debian laptop mailing list?  The least you could do is to lie to us
and say you are running Debian when posting to a Debian list.  :-)

> A couple of years ago, I came across a really neat tool for Windows for
> estimating the time remaining until the battery is completely charged or
> discharged. It was pretty clever about how it went about it. It would
> tool was learning what "80%" /really/ meant to that battery.

I have often wanted this too.  And your other wishlist items as well.
As far as I know there isn't a tool that does exactly this for
GNU/Linux in general or on Debian in particular.  If you find one I
would be interested in it.

There are some useful tools available though.  You might look at 'ibam'.

  IBAM is an advanced battery monitor for laptops, which uses
  statistical and adaptive linear methods to provide accurate
  estimations of minutes of battery left or of the time needed until
  full recharge. It requires APM, ACPI or PMU.

It needs some training.  But given that it does perform fairly well.
Unfortunately it isn't tied into the system tray tools and so isn't
going to be a seemless integration there.  It is available in gkrellm
if you use that stack.  See the gkrellm-ibam package.

Bob