HP 6735b - freezes on plug/unplug of the AC cord

Hi,

First of all, apologies if this turns out to be a common question;
I've done a bit of searching on the Internet in the past several
months, and I didn't come across something that could really address
my problem, but it is very, very much possible that I've missed
something obvious.

I'm writing this on an HP 6735b laptop that, for the past several
months has been freezing each and every time I either plug or
unplug the power cord.  It also freezes if I leave it for more than
twenty or thirty or so minutes *in a text console* - that started
happening after I switched to KMS for the ATI Radeon card; it used
to freeze in X, too, but at some point it just stopped - now I only
leave it in X when I walk away from it for a while.

Still, the plug/unplug problem has been constant for the last several
months - utterly reproducible, each and every time, always in Debian,
never in Windows 7.  Unfortunately, I cannot give you an exact date
for when it started - I guess the first couple of times I thought this
was something intermittent or something accidental, and by the time I
realized it was constant, I'd lost track of time.

I've put the dmesg output from my laptop at
http://things.ringlet.net/roam/misc/straylight/dmesg.txt.gz
and the "dpkg -l" output at
http://things.ringlet.net/roam/misc/straylight/dpkg.txt.gz
If there is anything else I could provide - config files, logfiles,
command output - just ask.

Thanks in advance for your time!

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@space.bg    roam@ringlet.net    roam@FreeBSD.org
This would easier understand fewer had omitted.