Ati drivers don't start on laptop

Hello, I'm using debian squeeze. My kernel is amd64 and the system is i386. I think the installer automatically installed the amd64 kernel because it detected that my t4300 intel processor can support 64 bit. The problem is, everything works except for my ati hd4330 and touchpad. I followed the debian wiki to install the ati drivers. I did all the steps there...but the driver doesn't start. I even installed firmware-linux-drivers but no luck. I'm really a beginner so I am asking for help. I searched a lot on Google but found no answer. I am available to talk on Gtalk also if someone has some time to help me. Any suggestion is more than appreciated. Please help me get my laptop up and running so I can start learning for school.

Thank you!