no statistics for wlan0 on samsung n220

Hello,

I am running a Debian testing+unstable mix on a Samsung N220 laptop.
Everything is working pretty much as well as I would like.  However,
there is one little niggle that I have not been able to sort out: for
some reason, no statistics are collected for my wlan interface although
networking through this interface is working perfectly.  Any of the
tools I use (ifconfig, vnstat, slurm, conky) all either given 0 traffic
or as vnstat says, "wlan0: Not enough data available yet."

>From lspci: Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device
8192 (rev 01).  Interestingly, in /proc/net/rtl819xE/wlan0/, the files
stats-rx and stats-tx are updated with the numbers I would expect.  Why
are these not being found by any of the network stats tools?

I've never encountered this problem with any other system I use and/or
manage.  I'm completely puzzled!  Any pointers welcome.

Thanks,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga (: http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucecesf/ :)