Problem with netbook trackpad: random clicks and motion

I have a Gateway LT3013U netbook.  I have successfully installed Debian (the
regular distro, not any special netbook version) on it.  Everything works
flawlessly, except the touchpad.  If I place my finger on the touchpad and
drag from the center to the left, the mouse pointer flies to the top right
then "teleports" to a random location, while simultaneously both right- and
left-clicking at great speed. If I have the GNOME desktop exposed, I end up
with multiple new folders on it, because the mouse clicking opens the option
menu then immediately selects the first item, "Create Folder".

I've done quite a bit of 'net research, and tried various fixes found there,
including creating a xorg.conf and adding sections to it, to no avail.  I
checked the archives of this list and debian-user as best I could, but the
search engine frankly isn't very helpful.

Data point:  synclient reports that it can't find a Synaptics touchpad.

Data point:  the output of 'cat /proc/bus/usb/input/devices' contains
neither Synaptics, Elantech nor ALPS.  It is detected as a PS/2 mouse.

I tried following the instructions at
http://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad without success.

I am running Debian Squeeze, freshly updated this morning.  The xorg
synaptics driver is installed.

A USB mouse works fine.

I would be grateful for any help.
--