Re: Upgrading Lenny to Squeeze

Ji ZhengYu wrote:
> Yes, I do as what Bob said, and everything seems to OK.

So you get a boot and a text console streaming boot up messages okay?

> But when I reboot system again, the X system can't work any more.
> Screen is black (nothing), and no logs exist in /var/log/X.log.

In Squeeze the X.org system is much more automatic.  It has been
recommended that if you have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf configuration file
from the old Lenny and then upgrade to Squeeze that this file be moved
out of the way and to reconfigure and optionally create a new one.  On
my systems I haven't needed any configuration file there at all and
the system can automatically detect and run okay without one.

> And if I reinstall squeeze in a clean disk, I meet this problem again.
> NO log and a black screen, keyboard is working, but I can't see
> anything from screen.

But if a clean installation is also failing at that step then your
problem is not a Lenny /etc/X11/xorg.conf file but something different
and my suggestion above won't help.  It is a different problem.

> Any suggestion?

Sorry but I have no helpful suggestion.  There should be a
/var/log/Xorg.0.log file from X and if there isn't then I don't know
where to look.

Bob