Re: Debian lenny on a dell inspiron 1545

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 13:03, Daniel <asmosis.asterix@gmail.com> wrote:
Greetings everyone! I'm not an advanced user. I started out with another distribution based on Debian but I wanted to move to Debian as those were not suitable for me in the sense that they were not stable. I managed to install debian lenny on my Dell Inspiron 1545 (thanks to the graphical option which I do thank you everyone for providing it). As a new user I have some troubles and I wrote this email to ask for your help.
       First of all, I use PPPOE for connecting to the internet. As I started debian for the first time I did not find the network manager. How do I get it since I can't connect to the internet? I can use "sudo pppoeconf" but I don't want to since I had a lot of problems back on Ubuntu when runing this command. If I run it in the terminal back when I was using Ubuntu, it would overwrite the network manager config file and I could not use it anymore. I really do not want to compromise my system since I am a beginner.
So in a line, what can I do to get internet on my laptop using pppoe?
       Also can you please tell me if there is a way to change an option on nautilus to not open new windows when entering in a folder?

Well, for the Nautilus option, if you go into "Edit" menu, then "Preferences", on the "Behavior" tab, there is a check box that reads "Open each folder in its own window". For the behavior you ask, it should not be selected.  If your Nautilus version does not have that option in its preferences window, you could achieve the same by running "gconf-editor", and then going to:  "apps" -> "nautilus" -> "preferences" and, on the right panel, checking the "always_use_browser" checkbox.

I know many said that debian is not for beginners. But please understand that it is the stability and clearness of this operating system that attracted me to install it.

I thank you all in advance and wish everyone the best!

Best Regards,

--
Jonás Andradas

Skype: jontux
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/andradas
GPG Fingerprint:  678F 7BD0 83C3 28CE 9E8F
                          3F7F 4D87 9996 E0C6 9372
Keyservers:  pgp.mit.edu | pgp.rediris.es