Problems with version 10.01

I recently upgraded to version 10.01 and have been experiencing a few problems.  After installing the new version, I no longer have any menu options in the upper task bar.  I have to hover over it to get the context of what's there.  Is there a setting I need to make to bring that back into view?  My wifi connection is fine, but it takes forever to move from page to page in Firefox since the upgrade.  I've got several XP machines that work just fine.

I am new to using Linux, so any suggestions need to be in that context!  Thanks!
Leroy