Re: I want all my 4GB!!!

James Brown wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
>>   apt-get install memtest86+
> I have installed this packege but I can  find neither a man-page of it
> nor the help information.
There is no manpage for memtest86+'s options because it is not a program
running on Linux, but a program running directly on the machine.

> How can I use it (I think that it works when
> system booting) and when (and how) can I see the results of this test?
Install memtest68+. You might need to run
 update-grub

as root afterwards (do it anyway, just to be on the safe side).

Reboot your computer and pay attention to the screen. After a couple of
seconds, there will be a menu of various boot options (like "Debian
Version, kernel 2.6.42") which normally vanishes after 5 seconds. Use
the Up and Down keys to select the memtest option and press Enter. Note
the memory size recognized by memtest: If it is <4GiB, the problem is
your BIOS configuration; otherwise, it is caused by Linux(afaik this
includes sharing RAM). Power-cycle your machine to start Linux again.

Regards,

Philipp Hagemeister