Re: [Follow up to] Re: Phone recording software

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 19:52:08 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> I hope I got back to you in time. It wasn't clear from my post that I
>> don't recommend attaching a 48v DC telco line directly to a laptop line
>> in, I doubt the laptop could tolerate that line level. I apologize for
>> making it sound like that, an impedance matching transformer that
>> isolates the DC might work.
>>

> I see. When I go into the electronic store looking for such a
> transformer, what should I ask for?

There is this dialer application in the Debian repositories, however, I
haven't tried it. DTMFDial, I imagine it should work if it's not an old
rotary dial telset, it's for DTMF tones. It might only be for dialing,
might require you to pickup handset to carry on a call, I don't know.
Since you have Windows programs that do it, you might try running a
Windows phone dialer through WINE as was suggested by another poster,
don't have any clue if that would work. Maybe Windows in a VM. Still, I
doubt that your laptop modem is capable of analogue voice calls, there
would be very little use for a feature like that these days.

DTMF Tone Dialer
dtmfdial is a DTMF (Dual Tone Multiple Frequency) tone generator. This
program generates the same tones that modern "TouchTone" telephones use to
dial. It can be used to dial on any phone system supporting DTMF tones.
dtmfdial requires a sound card to work, and is designed to be used as a
phone dialer from address book programs.

I'm not going to suggest a novice build their own and if you have to ask
that question, I consider you a novice. Usually telephone sets are around
600-900 ohms and your line in is big, probably on the order of megohms.
It's likely that your telco terms of service don't allow you to connect a
home made device like this to their network. Years ago there were pickups
(a coil that picked up the EMF from the tel handset) that had a suction
cup to stick to the earpiece and a mini-phono plug to plug in to recorder.
Maybe your supplier would have one of those. Otherwise, there might be
some surveilance supplier that would have something that could work, black
ops with phones still occur.