Re: Lenny. How to start X from console with a chosen DM?

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Mark Goldshtein
<mark.goldshtein@gmail.com> wrote:
> Debian 5 Stable.
> System installed from KDE CD ISO. Graphic logon screen is stopped by
>
> # sysv-rc-conf kdm off
>
> So the system initially boot into plain text console. WindowMaker
> display manager was added. Now I am trying to start X session with
> WindowMaker
>
> $ exec startx WndowMaker
>
> X doesn't start at all. If I say:
>
> $ exec startx
>
> Then KDE X session successfully started.
> Would you please to explain, how to start X session with WindowMaker
> DM in Debian?

Maybe this can help you,

First, please create a file `~/.xinitrc' with vim, or any editors you like

Then, add this line into the file
     exec WindowMaker

At last, exit and run `startx'

I can start my fvwm with this method. Change WindowMaker to fvwm, and you can
start it.
Note: I've uninstalled all session manager, include XDM/GDM/KDM and so on.

--
Regards,