Re: Debian-based system not booting on Dell Inspiron laptop

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 13:25 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have a two-week old Kubuntu 8.04 installation that is now failing to
> boot. When I start the computer, I get the Kubuntu graphic, then it
> drops to tty1 and I get a text login. When I log in with my username
> and password I get a message that the system is read only.

> Other than / no partitions are mounted. As /home is it's own partition I cannot
> access my files there.

What do you mean? what's the actual output of "mount"?

> I then logged in as root (I do have a root password) and tried running
> init 5 however that did nothing.
>
> What must I do to diagnose this? Thanks.

Check the error message in the log files

> Note that this message was originally posted to Ubuntu-user, however,
> that list is good for MS bashing and not for solving technical
> problems, especially with a laptop! Please excuse my cross post.

Ubuntu-user is the right place to ask your question. Follow-up there
please.

BTW, review your email signature as one may be considered it as spam.

Regards,

Franklin