Re: Does KDM need a password?

Paolo wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 09:30:35PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> My laptop password-protects the harddrive, to unlock it I must enter a
>> password before the BIOS starts the OS. Is it thus redundant to have a
>> password at the KDM logon screen? I am the only user of this laptop,
>
> that'd mean you are sure you always use your laptop like:
>
> 1. on, active session, you in front of kyb/scr
> 2. off / suspend to disk
>
> anything in between would benefit from some protection other than bios/disk.

Paolo is right.  It depends on the kind of security model you want.  If
you're going to power your laptop off every time you leave it, or you're
willing to accept the risks, then go ahead and modify kdm.  However, as
most take their laptops places that are outside of their control, having
this added layer of security is beneficial.

Seth