Re: [OT] Sidux, New HP AMD/ATI dv4 Pavilion - sound, fan, ...

s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com>:
>  Daryl Styrk <darylstyrk@gmail.com>:
> >  s. keeling wrote:
> > > Hi.  This is a nice box.  I've installed Sidux' latest on it.
> > >
> > > The fan runs constantly.  Gkrellm reports 161.6 F; is that normal?
> > > [snip]
> > > AMD Turion Dual core, ATI Radeon graphics, 3 Gb RAM.
> >
> >  That seems pretty hot to me.. Is that a constant temp?  Have you looked
>
>  Propping up its back feet, increasing airflow, takes it down to 140 F,
>  and the fan's backed off a lot.  lm_sensors is working, everything
>  else seems normal, ...  21st Cent. HW.  :-|

echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo cpufreq_conservative >> /etc/modules

Appears to have solved the excessive fan usage and its temp is now
down to 122F.  The spot on the case above the harddrive is much cooler
now.  I've noticed no performance loss yet but haven't really done
anything with it; just trying to keep it from burning up before I
can use it.