Re: Load_Cycle_Count: Is 600000 bad?

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Adrian Levi wrote:
> > You might be interested to read the applicable Debian bug:
>
> Thanks, Adrian, it seems that I'm right there! I'll start looking
> for
> a new hard drive now, before the data loss. (I do keep regular
> backups).

In contrast to the doomsayers I am not convinced that this single item
is a great predictor of hard drive failure.  It is just one metric of
data in a larger set.  Being used in a mobile environment is already a
harder environment for laptops.  Therefore you should always have
reasonable backup and recovery plans anyway.

I was in the same situation with a high load count accumulated but
didn't replace my drive.  However another failure (motherboard) about
a year later claimed my laptop and I ended up needing to replace the
entire box with a different one.

Bob