Re: Network Interfaces "Missing" on Dell Latitude D600

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 1:07 AM, justin joseph <justinjoseph007@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Jeff Isaac<cineveggie.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all!
>

> the only interface listed is the loopback lo. I find this odd as the
> wireless can correctly detect the available networks in my area, so I have
> to believe that some part of the networking system is behaving correctly.
> ifconfig also only lists the loopback. lspci identifies the NIC/WLAN's
> correctly.

How do you know that the wireless is correctly detecting available networks?

On my system, I run "sudo iwlist eth1 scan" to display available
networks.  I can also use
the "Network Manager" GUI utility (this is ubuntu though :-( ) to see
the available networks.

AFAIK if you say you are able to see available wireless networks, then
it basically means that your
wireless driver and firmware(if any) is loaded fine.

Can you post here the outcome of "ifconfig -a"

Hi Justin -

Joe Emenaker has been very helpful to me regarding this issue, and I don't think that all of my posts got onto the board. With his help, the issue has been resolved. The problem was that for some reason unbeknownst to me, the default Debian 5.0.2 installer failed to install the Network Manager service on THREE consecutive installs. I had to manually apt-get install it and put together my own configuration file. After commenting out eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces, I can now properly use all of my NICs. The bigger mystery to me, then, is why the installer didn't install NetworkManager in the first place. The installer detected both cards, so I am somewhat at a loss as to why it didn't prepare the package.

~ Jeff