Re: The Acer's notebooks don't suppot vt at all

--- On Wed, 7/29/09, James Brown <jbrownfirst@gmail.com> wrote:

From: James Brown <jbrownfirst@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: The Acer's notebooks don't suppot vt at all
To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Cc: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 11:50 AM

> On Tuesday 28 July 2009 09:26:27 am James Brown wrote:
>
>> When I tried to install and to rum the kvm on my Acer TravelMate3043WTMi
>> (under Debian Lenny AMD64) the system told me that I needed to have
>> vt-support in my CPU and/or enable it in my BIOS.
<SNIP>

I don't know if it is becoming apparent to anyone else, but it appears to be pretty plain that James' machine is not quite up to the tasks that he is asking of it. The problems all seem to be relating back to the hardware of his Acer Travelmate 3043WTMi. The problems do not appear to be Debian issues, but they have been sucking up the bandwidth of this Debian list for the past week or two.

I have two Acer machines, an Aspire One (the 8.9" model) and an Aspire 5735Z. I have run Virtualbox successfully, under both Win Vista and Linux on the 5735Z. I have not yet tried under the Aspire One, which dual boots XP Home and Ubuntu Jaunty (since Alpha 6), because I figured that I wanted to upgrade the machine's memory first (it has 1GB now). I do know of people successfully doing virtualization on the Aspire One using compact distros like DSL, so I know it can be done.

My suggestion is to James that you find an alternative piece of hardware to work with. You can complain, but that won't accomplish much other than to burn up bandwidth.

BTW, from what you've said, I believe the Acer folks gave you the right info. You report that they told you that the BIOS on your machine could not be configured for vt, and that the system told you that you needed to have EITHER CPU support and/or BIOS support. Since it is apparent that the version of the CPU in your laptop doesn't support vt, and the BIOS doesn't either, it would seem that there is no resolution other than to seek out hardware which WILL support vt.

--
Rob Smith
Registered Linux User #337445