Re: Wlan radio-toggle key works half-way

>> My machine (MSI Wind) has a wlan-toggle key (Fn-F11) which
>> enables/disables the wifi's radio (this is done apparently directly by
>> the BIOS so Linux isn't really told about it), and it also sends some

> Er, if you see it, the kernel must be telling you about it, yes?
> Linux generally ignores the lies spat out by BIOS, et al, from what I
> know.  Of course, I could be deluded, ...

>> key event (which by default causes some "setkeycodes" kernel messages).
>>
>> So the key formally works, but not ideally: when I turn the radio off,
>> the wifi communication is indeed interrupted, but the driver keeps on
>> trying to connect, wasting energy.

> That sounds like software hasn't been told how to react.  As in
> config?  Have you $GOOGLED setkeycodes?

> Install "hotkeys" for a start.

If you google enough for setkeycodes, you'll discover that the
/etc/hal/fdi/information/msi-wind.fdi I alluded to, does exactly use
setkeycodes, just "in the HAL way".
So, no, sadly, setkeycodes is not itself a solution.
The worst part is that I can't even find info about how it is *supposed*
to work.

        Stefan