Re: HP laptop

SAMUEL JOSE PEREIRA CARNEIRO MACDOWELL <macdowell.smd@dpf.gov.br>:

>  I'm afraid to say but HP laptop has problems. Some models HP made
>  a recall.  Hava a look at
>
>  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Also see:

  http://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx

which led me to:

   "Note that controllers with pci-id 14e4:4315 are not supported even
   if are chipset 4312. Install proprietary drivers by downloading at
   this page and following instruction in file README.txt. You need
   to have installed gcc binutils make and also your kernel headers
   (apt-cache search headers | grep $(uname -r) and install found
   package)".

There you go; it's a moving target ("Seeeeekret!!!").  The proprietary
download is a source tarball including Makefile.  There is no
README.txt, of course.  :-)

I don't much care as I don't use it, but it seems HP/Broadcom WiFi
is a bit of a nightmare.  Otherwise, nice machine (dv4 - AMD Turion
dual core 64 bit).