Re: Phone recording software

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 07:50:51PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I wouldn't necessarily expect a laptop to have a voice modem. Can you
> How could I check that? What program can I use to dial?

what about checking you pc's manual? anyway, you can use setup/config
programs in some modem-apps pkgs, like mgetty as already suggested (good
for inbound and outbound data/fax/voice calls) or hylafax-server (whose
modem knowledge-base is fairly large). But you can go straight with minicom
talking directly to the modem, eg

OK
ati3
EFM560 VER 4.02 V.90 (VER 1.14 TBR21 V.2)

OK
at+fclass=?
0,1,2,8

which shows that mine is a EMF560... brand/serial/etc (ati3 command) and
a data (0) fax (class 1,2) and voice (8) modem (at+fclass=? cmd).

> > A quick and dirty way to do this might be to use a bridging plug (two RJ

yep, should always work on POTS, provided you use the right line-adapter.
A quickest & dirtiest approach is, put a normal phone in parallel on the
line, stick mic - connected to your pc - on it, and there you go; use your
favourite audio app to record the mic signal. Can be done even with a w.less
handset, like a dect - handy when your phonr plug is away from your bunker ;)

For a more stable/reusable setup, go to a telephone shop and ask for an audio
phone-line adapter, one of those suitable for eg plain old analog recorders
or phone-secretary.

HTH
--
paolo