Re: Phone recording software

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 21:43:12 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I need to record a phone interview. Is there any software that will let me
> plug the a phone line into the modem jack of my laptop (Dell Inspiron
> 6400), and record the voice? I have found many Windows programs that do
> this (assuming that the hardware supports it) but the only thing that I
> could find for Linux is Asterisk which is a bit complicated for this
> purpose (and my skill level).

I wouldn't necessarily expect a laptop to have a voice modem. Can you
dial a call with the laptop and talk on it through your soundcard jacks
with a headset. If you can, you can use the software you already have for
recording.

A quick and dirty way to do this might be to use a bridging plug (two RJ
connectors connected in parallel), in the phone connecter on the wall,
if it is not hardwired, the phone cord to one and the other to a recorder
(might even work if fed into line in on your soundcard). There will be an
impedance mismatch and the signal level on the phone will be lower than
normal but it might work well enough for what you need. Unless you get hum.

Keep in mind that recording phone calls might be illegal in some places in
the world without ensuring that the other party is aware.