Re: Does KDM need a password?

Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> writes:

> My laptop password-protects the harddrive, to unlock it I must enter a
> password before the BIOS starts the OS. Is it thus redundant to have a
> password at the KDM logon screen?

I don't know about you, but I occasionally leave my laptop unattended,
and while the KDE screen-saver locks it, it also offers the "switch
user" option.

Using that someone could trivially open a new KDM login prompt, hit
return, and have access to your identity.  Not much fun.

A lot of Unix security assumes that you prompt for authentication before
allowing access to a user account; while you can violate that you will
find that it does[1] open security holes by violating upstream
maintainers assumptions.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  More precisely, "is extremely likely to without very, very careful
     configuration on your part, such that you are unlikely to always
     succeed in finding the holes before they are exposed."