Re: Replacing Ubuntu with Debian Etch

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 7:47 PM, jeffry killen <jekillen@prodigy.net> wrote:

> The odd academic question is:
> How is it that the installer cannot detect the
> cdrom  when it is running off the cdrom?

Stupid idea:
Check installer boot options for 'cdrom'-related things and try to
play with them.
There could be funny controversy between existing /dev/hd* and
/dev/sd* devices and what kernel thinks to be CDROM/HDD names -- not
remember details, but probably 1.5 year ago I've got problems looking
very similar to yours on my HP Compaq / Etch.
If I remember correctly, exactly telling installer the CDROM device
name  solved it out.