problem with sleep modes etc.. on a ThinkPad600 with Etch

Hi to Everyone,

The laptops interrupts (is this the right word ?) - which had worked perfectly well for many years on my ThinkPad 600 under RedHat 7.2 - do not operate under Debian Etch. Nothing shuts down or goes to sleep when I close the lid, neither the video nor the hard disk (I can hear its noise) ; I am not sure whether the fan works or not ; nothing goes to sleep after a while even when the system is powered on battery... if I press Fn+F4 on the keyboard (sleep icon), the system indeed goes to sleep, but then there is no way I can awaken it ... and a CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing, same if pressing the OFF switch... the only way to get out of this is to unplug AC power AND remove battery for a few seconds, then put it back and start again. I now have to shutdown this laptop everyday, even several times a day, while, when it ran under RedHat 7.2, I practically never shut it down, just closed the lid.

If someone wishes to see the /var/log/messages generated by my laptop system during last boot, this is being displayed at the following address.

http://www.teaser.fr/~bdebreil/log_messages

Thanks in advance for any shared experience or advice so as to get that old laptop operate as it should.

Bernard