ALSA mixer values

I'm trying to get sound on a Thinkpad x61s that runs Sidux. My aim at
this point is simply to get sound going by running a .wav test file
using alsaplayer (vol. set to max). The file plays, but no sound out.

But the problem is that I often don't know what the alsamixer controls
do. I was able to find out for my desktop machine, but the controls
are somewhat different on the Sidux laptop. Where would I go to find
out what these controls mean? Man alsamixergui is not much help.

As for my specific situation at this point, here's what I have:

  head: muted
  PCM: 100%
  mic: 100%
  mic boost: 100%
  capture: 100%
  capture 1: 100%
  beep: muted
  digital: low volume
  docking mic: 0 and muted
  docking mic boost: 0
  docking mic boost: 0
  input source: 0
  input source: 0
  internal mike: 0 and muted
  internal mike boost: 0
  speaker: unmuted

I'll be using the internal sound chip as a demodulator, and so have
the laptop's mike and speaker jacks connected to an external
device. That is the reason why mic and mic boost is set high. I don't
know where to set the level of the external speaker jack, but that
should be high as well.

--

       Haines Brown, KB1GRM