nvidia twinview broken

Hi All,

I need some help. I hope someone can acknowledge the bug that I'm going to describe and help me root-cause and fix it.

I have a Dell XPS M1210 notebook which comes bundled with nvidia GeForce Go 7400 card.
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72M [GeForce Go 7400] (rev a1)

It is around 2 years old laptop, and in the beginning I was able to use this laptop with TwinView configuration. It worked perfect.
Sometime later during kernel upgrade and nvidia driver upgrades, TwinView broken. I'm sorry, I can't really recollect when really that happened.

Single View still works for me. But I badly want to use my External IBM Monitor at work.

Here's my problem description:

When I start X with the External Monitor connected, the screen goes blank with no message. There is no X display on the external monitor. But X draws an Extended Desktop because on the laptop's display, only half of the virtual desktop is drawn. The External Monitor behaves as if nothing is connected to it.

My first suspect was that the VGA port might have gone bad. But I think that might not be the case. This is how I concluded that:

(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce Go 7400 (G72) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 262144 kBytes
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 05.72.22.21.fd
(II) NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 16X
(--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce Go 7400 at PCI:1:0:0:
(--) NVIDIA(0): IBM L191p (CRT-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): AUO (DFP-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): IBM L191p (CRT-0): 400.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) NVIDIA(0): AUO (DFP-0): 330.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) NVIDIA(0): AUO (DFP-0): Internal Dual Link LVDS
(II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: DFP-0
(==) NVIDIA(0):
(==) NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default mode "nvidia-auto-select"
(==) NVIDIA(0): will be used as the requested mode.
(==) NVIDIA(0):
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0): "nvidia-auto-select"

If the VGA port was bad, X wouldn't have been able to auto-detect the External Monitor. My xorg.conf doesn't have any mention of the external monitor.

I strongly believe this to be a Kernel or nvidia driver problem. That is because I have used this configuration (TwinView) before. I believe it is not a hardware failure.

Any help is appreciated.

Ritesh

--
If possible, Please CC me when replying. I'm not subscribed to the list.